Thursday, March 17, 2011

Zentangle Challenge - Nondominatrix

This week's Diva Zentangle challenge was to use our non-dominant hand. For me that would be the left hand and it was a challenge. You have to relinquish a lot of control when you don't draw with the hand you normally use everyday. And as we all know it is not easy to give up control. My first attempt was frustrating because I wanted to do the tangle well. I decided that I needed to simplify my design and my expectations - hence the title - K.I.S.S.
Then just for fun I decided to do a similar tangle with my right hand and see the differences. I have posted them both. In this exercise as in life I like to have control over my environment. I often forget that I am not in control, that challenges from outside invade my life, and sometimes I need to be flexible. It seems the more I struggle to hold on tightly, the more things become complicated. And while this may yield satisfying results in the long run, I can forget that a simpler approach has it's own rewards. So I remind myself to keep it simple, stupid.


7 comments:

  1. They are both gorgeous. I love the quirkiness of the non dom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing something similar with both hands is a great idea. It is fun seeing the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, your right handed piece is very sophisticated and polished. your left handed piece is very organic and charming love them both and think if it were shown on its own no one would realise that the non dom piece is drawn with the non dom hand. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a clever idea to do one of each....I like the differences, they are both very appealing. Good for you. excellent work and I love what you say about struggling and letting go of control sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane, you posted this challenge on the linkey machine for Challenge #12. Could you post it in #13? thanks!

    Oh, and i think the idea of doing the same tangle with the right hand is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. woops! never mind, i just found it on challenge 13.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I like seeing the two together and I'm impressed with the control you have with your non-dominate hand! Good going!

    ReplyDelete